Tuesday, June 23, 2009

trip to Mumbai!!

we set off from Tamil Nadu at 5:30 in the morning and were on our train by 9:30 after a quick breakfast with our favorite pastor that we've met. We said we needed to use the washroom so he led us to a small sink, but we really needed to use the bathroom, which was out back by some defeaning machine... so different from home!
Our train ride took 28 hours but we had bunks and I really absolutely loved it! The only somewhat annoying thing were the people that walked through every 2 minutes, no exaggeration, and yelled out "Tea!" "Caawfeee!" We had little picnics for every meal on our bunks that we couldn't sit up straight on because the bunks were 3 high, but it was actually really fun, and Kingsley even brought our jam that we consume like crazy!
When we got off we waited under a bridge where we saw a small child just drop their pants and pee on the sidewalk! Finally Kingsley's friend came and we got on another train that was absolutely stuffed full of people but we luckily had a seat and some men beside us were playing backstreet boys so even though the rain was streaming through the window we had a lovely hour ride in that train!
There's so much more to say but people are waiting for the computer so I'll write more later! We saw our first white people here though and absolutely stared like Indians!! love you all!!

6 comments:

  1. Dear India West team,
    I was highly disappointed to see that you had not submitted an update for the Youth In Mission weekly update. It's a good thing I subscribe to this blog or I would have no idea what was going on and would think you were just in India having a party.
    Love and miss you and can't wait to see you!
    Love,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously. The India West team looked like extreme slackers in the last YIM update. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps- I'm so glad you guys are back safely. I am still jealous of your overnight train ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, hey......well, I guess that somewhere along the way, the bus ride turned into a train ride. I never even imagined BUNKS...and I'm sure I'm still not imagining accurately, but it was nice to hear that you had a place to lay your bodies over such a very long trip. NOW...rain pouring in the windows????? Maybe it was so hot that it actually felt OK.....but you know how much the soggy brute likes getting wet!!!!!!!
    Anyway....you are obviously having experiences that really can't compare with Splash Mountain!!

    Now, not that I'm counting, but I have it figured in such a way that I do believe that this is the halfway day....knowing that you are alive and well (I think!!) keeps me from getting too overly anxious to see your sweet face. However, it will be my TOTAL DELIGHT when it happens!!!

    Know that we pray for you, and love you immensely, and miss you even more than that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking that you are still riding trains, buses, scooters, and whatever else is available....!!!!!!

    I still have not received any emails from you, but I'm thinking that perhaps they got lost in the "wafting"....that happens!!! (or perhaps you sent them to mail.snu.edu when in fact my address is snu.edu.....) ANYWAY......I'm sitting on GO, and won't pass without getting a word from you!!!

    Grandpa and Grandma, Amy and Carol are coming this weekend. Our family gathering will be on Saturday, and then we are having Sunday Dinner at church this Sunday. Brian Harbert is coming home tomorrow....one more time in safety, we pray.

    I have talked with Jim and Elaine concerning a visit....they will be going to Ridge Camp the first two weekends of August. I'm not sure if that is something you want to participate in....let me know!!

    I'm just touching base, assuring you that you remain in our love and prayers!! Hugs to you....and a huge bundle of our love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing because I posted a comment in the wrong spot. It was supposed to go here! Thanks for giving me a reason to figure out the world of blog commenting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete