Saturday, June 20, 2009

momma's birthday

Mostly the days here have been very similar since I last posted, except for mom’s birthday… that night at the CDC they totally surprised me with a birthday cake for mom and I got to serve it to each one of the kids!! It was so sweet and so many people told me to “send your mother my birthday greetings!”
We don’t do a lot during the day except “take rest”, and the other day the 4 of us were exploring what God was doing through that. One thing that was mentioned was for prayer, because if we were at home, we would never make the time for it like we do here. Still, I had been feeling guilty, because I don’t think I’ve ever in my life felt like I prayed enough for others, or that it was good enough, but I had no idea what was “good enough”. Yesterday during the 1 ½ hour sermon entirely in Tamil (it was for pastor’s appreciation day… what a way to be appreciated) I had a lot of time to think and read my Bible though, and I came to Luke 11:1-13. This passage contains the Lord’s prayer, which is so simple and straight to the point. It made me think of the verse that talks about not babbling on and on like the pagans do. This passage also says to approach the throne with boldness, believing in what you ask. I think a lot of the time we don’t ask things, because we’re afraid of not receiving the answer we want. However, we know that if we do ask, God will answer, maybe not the way we had hoped, but he will answer. And we need to ask specifically, rather than just generalizing. Just because I pray “please bless Peter”, once more, does not make it happen. If we ask over and and over it’s almost like we’re not trusting that God actually hears and answers. And this frees me to pray for other people, rather than worrying that I did not pray for my mother to be blessed one more time. As for praying without ceasing, it’s more of just being aware that God is constantly there, and keeping Him present in every aspect of your life. Prayer is really about keeping the lines of communication with God open, something that is absolutely critical in every relationship. If I don’t talk to one of my friends for awhile, they’re still my friend, but we’ve lost something in that time we don’t talk. We can catch up, but we still missed out on a part of each others’ lives. I would really like to hear each of your thoughts on prayer and what it means in your lives!
In the CDC the kids get hit with rulers when their grades aren’t up to what the headmaster thinks they should be. At first I thought it was just their culture, a form of discipline I had to accept. But then the 6th standard kids took a test, and the average was 12 out of 50. Each one of them was hit and yelled at, and this I could not just accept, because somewhere the teaching had to have been wrong. If everyone was doing poorly, it could not just be the kids’ fault. This school is the only place most of these kids hear about God, and how is that showing God’s love at all? I don’t have the answers; this is just something all four of us have been struggling with here. I won’t be on for awhile probably… on Monday we embark on a 31 hour journey (3 hour car ride to the train, 27 hour train ride, and 1 hour ride to our hotel) to Mumbai. After we leave there we’re going to Karela, then to the mountain where Kingsley lives most of the year! We’ll be gone for 2 weeks and I may or may not have internet during that time. I love you all though, and will post again as soon as I can!

10 comments:

  1. I loved this, Cubs! It's so wonderful all that God has taught you about prayer and your walk with Him. I can't wait to share stories over a little caesar's pizza and crazy bread when we get home :) God is so good, and it's wonderful to hear of His work in India. Love you girl and praying for you as well!!

    PS...the gym we joined is part of the ministry believe it or not, and I've actually met a couple of people there. Hopefully, those avenues will continue to be utilized! At any rate, I just might be in better shape when I get back, haha. Muah girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enroute to Hutchinson, but the sisters said there was a new post, and so I begged Austin to let me read before he gets all hooked up in the back seat.

    You will never know how much it meant to me to have you call on my birthday...it made my whole day WONDERFUL!!!!

    I want to chat about prayer but I'll do it later when no one is waiting on me!!!!

    You are LOVED....prayed for ( really feel like I know about unceasing prayer!) AND hugged over the internet!!!! PLEASE THANK your friends for their birthday wishes.....the thought of that makes me SMILE without ceasing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So we were just reminiscing over lunch about my days in the beatles cover band back in the early 90's, and my tonail-ectomy that then precipated my subsequent tonail-implants.
    I can still hear them chanting "Hit the drums, Ringo!" Those were some unforgettable & wild times... Almost as unforgettable & wild as the times you seem to be having. Your life will be forever changed by this experience. That is a LONG trip you are embarking on, which reminds me of our tour of southeast asia with my cover band... Oh I could go on forever.
    I hope you have/had a wonderful time up in the mountains- it sounds like an adventure!!
    Love you sister.
    ri

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- pawstin says to tell you that he loves and misses you. He is hoping that you have been receiving his lengthy hand-written letters that he's been mailing you daily from his beach house in South Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes mam, that was Sara (Scakaler, or however you spell it). She is interning with a couple here. Brooke and Johnny Stevens, actually (the couple whose wedding we both worked that one time at OKC First for Maria, you remember?) It was so weird, I spent some time at their house and then figured out I had served at their wedding, haha. What a small world. Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I DEFINITELY do not like the Indian system of discipline in school. Were you forced to watch them being hit? I don't think I could have stood it without crying - especially these days since I'm super emotional and find myself crying for no good reason often! I would like to hit a few of those teachers with a ruler!
    About the prayer issue, it's a tough one. It's hard to know whether you should just ask once for something. I mean, I pray for Peter often and try to have faith that something good will come of it, but I can't say that I think my faith is very strong where that is concerned. There are other things I pray about, though, like asking God to help me as I try to raise a child to love Him and walk in His ways, and I truly believe it will happen. I certainly don't have all the answers, but would love to hear any insights you have on the subject after your stint in India!

    Lots of love,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  7. WELL...we are back home from Hutchinson. We had a nice time, with Aunts Nettie, and Amy....The Fures were in Pennsylvania.

    I've been thinking on prayer for three days now....it is my life line. I can't imagine what in the world people do who can't or don't know how to pray. I'll never know about the number of times one should ask...I prefer to err on the side of more than enough than too little, however....I sort of think it is like forgiveness. Who can keep track of seventy times seven???????

    In the meantime, the comfort that comes from knowing that God hears, cares, and answers every prayer is more than I can wrap my mind around most of the time. Our Sunday School lesson this last Sunday was about unleashing the resurrection power that Jesus left for us, on the day He went to heaven, and I know for sure that I have only touched the surface of that.

    My mom used to quote someone who said something like this: (you know how I am about getting the gist of things...not the exact wording.......) Little does this world know what is done because someone, somewhere prayed. I BELIEVE IT....precise wording or not!!!!

    Well....you are prayed for with much love, much faith for your wellness, and a mountain of trust in a GOD who answers our attempts to converse with HIM!!!!

    I hope you have/will withstand the 27 hour bus trip with great stamina and the same enthusiastic attitude that you display on all of your MANY, MANY road trips. I'm thinking this one may top every single one you've ever embarked on in your previous experiences!!! (I don't envision plush seats, good AC, plenty of room to spread out, or tidy little toilets in back!!!!!!!) We await verification on that!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It occurs to me that I need to update you on Grandpa and Grandma as well....Grandpa is doing better than he has been, and was able to enjoy our visit, I believe. Grandma stays constantly busy with her three boys....Logan, Lane, and Corbin. We didn't see any of them this time, but she does an amazing work, staying on top of all that!!!

    They have been keeping up with your posts, along with the aunts, so know for sure that you are in the hearts of lots of people who love you immensely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must go, but mother, my train was basically like an rv... actually quite wonderful, except for the smells... much more to come later!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aubrey-Lou:
    on the subject of prayer, I was working out this morning and felt the intense need to pray for you, which I of course did. I hope you are safe and sound today- I love you so much!!
    (people are very serious on this blog, by the way. what happened to all that crazy asbergers talk? austin needs to pony up and start commenting, and as himself this time. That's right austin, I'm calling you out!!)
    LOTS of love to all my family & friends reading this!!
    : )
    mel

    ReplyDelete