Tuesday, June 9, 2009

churidhars

Well mother, I was beginning to feel like we made a dire mistake in not constructing those lovely skirts, considering I had 2 pairs of pants, and very luckily 2… I threw in the 2nd pair at the last minute, but finally 2 days ago we were finally able to go to Trichy to get some new clothes. The department store we went to was absolutely amazing! It was 4 floors full of Indian clothing, and was very much like old time dept stores… you picked out the things you wanted under the careful watch of a salesman, then they were somehow sent down to the bottom floor to be paid for and picked out there, so you were able to continue shopping! Complimentary coffee and tea were given, but not necessarily appreciated considering that Indian department stores do not have air conditioning…I am now the proud owner or 4 churidhars… I must say I felt somewhat silly as I flew down the road behind Kingsley on his motorcycle in my puffy purple pants, but I guess I look the part… except that my skin isn’t quite the right color.
We also went to a candy store while in Trichy and to eat lunch at a wonderful little air conditioned place where you ate off banana leaves. From Trichy we went to a little park with paddle boats and a very sketch swinging boat like the one at Frontier City… yes we rode it, and only by the grace of God am I still alive!
Sunday we were in charge of the children’s lesson, we sang 2 American songs and one Tamil song in the service while I played, 2 teammates shared their testimonies, and after the service we taught the youth a song. One boy named Eugene (who is 20… youth goes to 25 here) told me I look like Britany Spears… he also told one of my other teammates that she looks like Kate Winslet though, and she’s half Jewish, with dark brown hair and olive skin… not quite Kate Winslet, but close. That night we watched Slumdog Millionare with Kingsley, and he gave us his views on marriage and love… very different from the American point of view but very beautiful at the same time. After that we spent at least an hour on the roof… when I get home y’all better be ready to talk about God, where you’re at, the things you’re struggling with, the things God’s helping you with, on a regular basis, because I absolutely getting used to it and loving it. Love you all!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know how I've managed this, but I have somehow beat mom to the punch and am the first to comment on your latest post. I literally laughed out loud in the doctor's lounge, at the mental image of you in puffy purple pants on a motorcycle! I'm sorry to see that God still has not managed to deliver you from the use of "sketch", but I will continue praying and trusting that it will come to pass!

    Love you lots and I'll try to get prepared for the discussions you will be requiring when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that's totally understandable... perhaps I will wear them for you when I get home. He will not, I will not allow Him to, my heart is absolutely not open to that.
    Good, I've been praying for you lot sissy!

    ReplyDelete